I shut my eyes and all the world drops dead; I lift my eyes and all is born again

--Sylvia Plath

Note: No new posts will be added to this blog. Please see new blog for new postings.

sexless in the city

All things tacky and delicious from my personal experiences in New York.

Saturday, October 14, 2006

Conversation over Tortilla Soup

Yesterday, a work friend and I went to lunch and she mentioned that she had mini-panic attacks while she was sleeping. I asked her what she thought was causing them, and she revealed that she and her husband were having problems. They've been married for 5 years, he's always away and she doesn't care anymore. She said she woke up and said, "Oh fuck, this is real", meaning that she knows that if her marriage fails, she faces getting a divorce. She also said that he wouldn't give up his career or change the course of his career to be home more often. She's known this man in her words, "forever". I shouldn't base my opinions on her unique situation, but man, I'm totally thinking that love is some type of fantasia. Especially in New York, people here seem happily single and thankfully child-free. This is a city of adults it seems. Nobody looks at each other on the subway, but when there are kids around, everyone eyes them curiously or perhaps, suspiciously. I hate to be so cynical, but I'm not sure I believe in love. Maybe I'll meet some couple who is wonderfully in love, and they can prove me wrong. I hope. I don't like being the love grinch.

P.S. I saw the departed last night. Loved it. Leonardo Dicaprio was beautful and absolutely brilliant. And the soundtrack! I've always liked the Dropkick Murphys.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

being the love grinch is fun. in fact, i am working on my latest novel, "The Grinch Who Stole Valentines Day".

enaqzj

10:10 AM  
Blogger cherie said...

haha, you've been grinchy for the last 2 years...remember when you used to have hope?

5:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hope? i do not recall that time. thanks for reminding me that it once existed in my life. =)

euyjofhr

5:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home