I shut my eyes and all the world drops dead; I lift my eyes and all is born again

--Sylvia Plath

Note: No new posts will be added to this blog. Please see new blog for new postings.

sexless in the city

All things tacky and delicious from my personal experiences in New York.

Sunday, September 30, 2007

Knitting in New York

I flew back into New York this morning at 5:30am. I spent a shitload of money interviewing this weekend. The auction company paid for the first days of things, but I extended my stay in order to add the other two interviews to my schedule. Traveling in and out of new york means that you have to add in the cab fare. From Manhattan to JFK is a $45 regulated fee and typically to my house its about the same. So, I get in at 5:30 am and I don't see any yellow cabs, and I start going out the front door and this man says, do you need a car?
(Car Service) I said yes, and he swept me into his car and after we drove away, he tells me its going to cost $60. Stupid motherfucker. I was so pissed. There wasn't anything I could do at that point. Fuck that shady fucker. He didn't get a fucking tip either. This I wont' miss about New York.


Late in the day, I had a knitting class with someone from Etsy.com. I totally was expecting to see hipster girls at the class. Instead, it was a gay guy and a straight emo-type guy. Surprisingly, the emo guy was very knowledgeable about his knitting craft. I had wondered if he came expecting to see the same hipster girls I expected to see, but I quickly dissolved that thinking as he launched into a serious discussion about the art of Purling and his devotion to watching online videos of knitting. After the knitting class, I got on the train to go home, and this guy who was like 55 was doing Math on the train, probably a math genius of sorts, kept putting his glasses on and staring at me. He started to talk to this kid who looked like he was home from the military or something, and starting singing a rap song he wrote in 1974 (thats what he told us anyway). He looked at me and asked me if I wanted to hear another song of his. Lucky for me it was my stop and I got off. These things I will miss about New York.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

math or mEth?

i can not believe you have taken up knitting. that is so 1950 of you. next you will be telling me that you found a man to take care of you and that all those years of college meant nothing.

12:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home