I shut my eyes and all the world drops dead; I lift my eyes and all is born again

--Sylvia Plath

Note: No new posts will be added to this blog. Please see new blog for new postings.

sexless in the city

All things tacky and delicious from my personal experiences in New York.

Sunday, October 07, 2007

Edge: A Review

I went to see "Edge" a one-woman play about the life of Sylvia Plath starring Angelica Torn. It was a very intimate setting, a black box, I believe they call it. The story is told on the last day of Sylvia's life, the day she commited suicide. Her life story is reenacted for key milestones in her life, such as her near fatal suicide attempt while at Smith College. From all I've read about Sylvia Plath, she appeared to be Bipolar, and Ms. Torn did an exceptional job at conveying that. She would speak in a very matter-of-fact voice and suddenly burst into an angry rage. I found myself tense hanging on every moment almost afraid of another outburst, and somewhat expecting one at any given time. Her tears were just as intense, and at times I found myself so taken with her performance, and so engaged, I thought I was going to cry. Ms. Torn portrayed how I've always envisioned Sylvia Plath to be like, down to the tongue in cheek humor. I found myself wondering what it would have been like to be married to a Bipolar. Like so many brilliant artists, she was an afflicted soul. If she had been alive today, she would have been prescribed Lithium and an arsenal of anti-depressants, which undoubtedly would have inhibited her creativity. Much like the movie Sylvia, the play villianized her husband, Ted Hughes. I've often wondered what his side of the story is. Hers has been told repeatedly and I wonder if its been told fairly. No doubt he was a self-absorbed asshole, but I would still like to hear his side of it.

1 Comments:

Blogger Lels_Box said...

I (L) NY ! Nice blog! greetings from spain!

4:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home