I shut my eyes and all the world drops dead; I lift my eyes and all is born again

--Sylvia Plath

Note: No new posts will be added to this blog. Please see new blog for new postings.

sexless in the city

All things tacky and delicious from my personal experiences in New York.

Monday, December 11, 2006

Kind words and Life

I had dinner with the former Dean of my graduate program and his wife today in the Upper East side. Very very sweet people. The food was absolutely excellent and completely affordable. I will be going there again. They told me that I am the one that represents success of the program. They told me they were proud of me and the things I have done. I was blown away with their kind words. I told them that many of my classmates were also very successful as well. Sometimes I look at my life and wonder where it all went. I didnt blow through college, I meandered. I'm a product of state colleges. But then I look at my life as a whole and I think I can be proud of my accomplishments. I have a very spotty past and there was a time when college seemed like the light of a very dark tunnel. I also received a lot of negativity and people who didn't think I would finish college. Eventually I did. The worst events of my life became the catalyst to finish school. I saw my future if I didn't go to school, and I was destined to be the wife of a blue collar worker with one child and one divorce in a shitty suburb. Life is so interesting sometimes. I can look back and point out specific decisions that altered the course of my life. Finishing the second Master's degree was the decision that changed everything for me. If I hadn't done the second degree I wouldn't have gotten into the industry I'm in, and I definitely wouldn't have moved to New York. When I left California, I had every intention of coming back. I'm glad I didn't. I'm content here. What I keep telling myself is stay flexible. Things change all the time, I just have to be ready.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

sweetie, at the rate you are going, you will still end up the wife of a blue collar worker with one child and one divorce in a shitty suburb.

stop dating trashy boys.

11:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home