I shut my eyes and all the world drops dead; I lift my eyes and all is born again

--Sylvia Plath

Note: No new posts will be added to this blog. Please see new blog for new postings.

sexless in the city

All things tacky and delicious from my personal experiences in New York.

Saturday, November 25, 2006

Faces of the Fallen

Every so often, I check the Faces of the Fallen courtesy of the Washington Post. I know a soldier who may or may not still be in Iraq, and although we rarely speak, I keep checking to make sure he isn't on that wall of faces. Every time I visit that site, it is a reality check. So many young faces. 21 year olds with their whole life ahead of them. Dead. For us. Its so sad. Unbearably sad. I am not a supporter of the war, but I do feel indebted to those who are bravely fighting on our behalf. I feel ashamed that I don't pay attention to the war news anymore. I can live my fancy life here, when these soldiers don't know if they are going to live from minute to minute. Unbelievable. I've decided to participate in the AnySoldier program, but specifically for Marines. My dad is a retired Marine what can I say. After reading through some of the stuff they need. I felt so dang sad. I mean its ordinary stuff like puzzles and jerky. Stuff to take their mind off the daily grind. I think of my own wishlist and its like iPods and JCrew boots. I can't even began to imagine what their life is like. To be so young and have so much on your shoulders. I can't even began to comprehend.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home