I shut my eyes and all the world drops dead; I lift my eyes and all is born again

--Sylvia Plath

Note: No new posts will be added to this blog. Please see new blog for new postings.

sexless in the city

All things tacky and delicious from my personal experiences in New York.

Sunday, April 08, 2007

Boutiques & Blueberry Ale


I haven't been posting as frequently as I had liked. Last weekend I had the best Mexican food in all of New York City. It's difficult to find real Mexican food and every fucking Mexican and Chinese person believes they can deliver on this promise. They can't. All the Mexican food places in Manhattan are run by Chinese people. I'm fine with that, but fuck give me a real fucking taco then. So, the best Mexican I've had so far is in Greenpoint, a neighborhood in Brooklyn. Acapulco. After the Mexican food experience we headed over to the Magnetic Field to catch a Dansettes show. They were fun.


I spent all of Saturday walking around getting to know my neighborhood. Cupcake shops are all the rage in here in New York and I found a cute one a few blocks over. I finally had a tacky Red Velvet Cupcake which was delicious. I also found some cute boutiques and spent way too much on clothes. It was a Saturday morning and I had literally rolled out of bed, so I looked a bit unkempt. I felt like I was having a Pretty Woman moment when I walked into the first boutique. The shop owners didn't bother to greet me or even offer to help. I spent about $170 in their store but felt like their selection was crappy and their attitudes shitty. Bitches. I walked another block and found another boutique which had way cuter stuff and the shop owner was attentive and helpful.


I've spent the rest of my weekend watching the Netflix in my queue including Martin Scorcese's Mean Streets which is really good and drinking Blueberry Ale. Tastes like real blueberries too. As a sidenote, I have a friend who recently came from traveling in Ireland for 5 weeks. I requested a Guinness shirt and offered to give her money for it. When she got back I asked her about the shirt and she said that I could just go online and get it. Is that bullshit or what? I just can't believe that she could even say something so stupid. And, she's also wrong. The UK Guinness Webstore does not deliver to the US and has different merchandise. The US store has total crap. I just thought I'd share that because I thought it was completely lame that she didn't bring back the one thing I asked for and had the nerve to tell me to go online.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

you have not lived until you've been to javiers for some of the best f-ing mexican food of your life. i took a real mexcican there last weekend and even they were impressed.

and i cant wait to come to BK so i can try one of those red velvet cupcakes. d-lish.

9:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home