I shut my eyes and all the world drops dead; I lift my eyes and all is born again

--Sylvia Plath

Note: No new posts will be added to this blog. Please see new blog for new postings.

sexless in the city

All things tacky and delicious from my personal experiences in New York.

Saturday, July 14, 2007

Things I love about New York


  1. Drop-off Laundry. Dropping off your laundry so someone else can wash your clothes and fold your undies for the same price it is to do your own laundry.

  2. Walking. Living in a microcosm neighborhood where you can find most of what you need within walking distance (ie: restaurants, bars, bodegas)

  3. The diversity. Walking just a few blocks can be the same as walking from Poland through the Middle East while stopping off in Mexico before landing in Greece.

  4. Cuisine. Living in diversity means the local restaurants and cuisines reflect this. My neighborhood has Polish, Greek, "Mexican", Moroccan, Arabic, and Japanese restaurants.

  5. Choices. Unlike suburbia, when you are forced to shop at either Abercrombie & Fitch or Hollister, in New York you can choose between Macy's and Saks or hundreds of private boutiques selling unusual fashion and accessories. You aren't forced to drive far away to find uniqueness.

  6. Arts and Culture. Of course. Watching an Indie film is very easy to do here, but a bit more expensive. Obviously there are tons of musuems and other cultural events that occur here. The drawback is that you definitely need to be willing to fight crowds of people or be able to handle the fact that everyone else will be there too.

  7. History. Yes, this is nerdy, but I bought a PBS videoof Coney Island. I'm a Coney Island buff, and I can't help it. But aside from Coney Island this place is brimming with history and sights.

  8. Delivery. Everyone delivers. The McDonald's near my work has a delivery service. Anything you want you get, usually its free. You just have to make sure the driver isn't trying to rip you off like the drivers of Mizu Sushi. That's right motherfuckers, your sushi sucks and your drivers are assholes.

  9. The Attitude. The people of New York work it. I mean no matter how bad they look, everyone thinks the look good. Chubby chicks are wearing the latest fashions that don't look so good on their body type, but they are rocking that short dress and gladiator sandals all while wearing Dior sunglasses. This goes for everyone, not just the chubbies. Everyone thinks they look good and the walk on the street like they own it. Love it.

  10. Movies and Celebrities. Yeah, this is a bit sad. I love the fact that I saw Eddie Murphy filming a movie in front of the flatiron. I love the fact that I saw that guy from BET's 106 and Park walking his dog and watching the filming of an Amex commercial near Madison Square Park. That's cool shit. And while these are pseudo-celebrities for sure, I know the day will come when Denis Leary and I "accidently" bump into each other at some random coffee shop downtown.


4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

we have celebs in la too, bitch. just last night i saw edgar from 24 at wolfgang puck! so bite it.

11:36 AM  
Blogger cherie said...

Yes bitch, some of these things I can find in L.A. which is why I decided to move there instead of SF. I'm a socal girl not a norcal girl. I'm sorry "edgar" is no Eddie Murphy, but I do remember seeing J-Lo, Rob Schneider, Eric McCormack, and Fabio in L.A.

--Don't be jealous.

11:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ill believe that you are moving to LA when i come to visit you at your apartment.

12:01 PM  
Blogger cherie said...

Oh you aren't invited honey.

12:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home