I shut my eyes and all the world drops dead; I lift my eyes and all is born again

--Sylvia Plath

Note: No new posts will be added to this blog. Please see new blog for new postings.

sexless in the city

All things tacky and delicious from my personal experiences in New York.

Monday, October 15, 2007

Scared Shitless

I'm scared shitless. I can't lie. Everyday I'm on Craigslist looking for apartments in areas that won't get me murdered. I've been reading the San Jose Crime Blog and cross referencing addresses of potential apartments to this Homicide Crime Map. So far many of the places I thought would be cool to live are like four blocks away from some deadly murder or multiple stabbings. Holy fuck. Is it weird that I live in Brooklyn and feel unsafe moving to suburbia? You should see me walking up and down this neighborhood with my big titties at 10:00 at night. I've never felt unsafe. On top of that, people keep telling me to live in SF and commute for the 1 hour or more to work. I just don't know if I'm ready for that right now. I may decide to do that once I'm there, but I don't think I'll do that during the first year. I'd love to live in SF, but I will move when I'm ready.


Today I got a text from an H.S. friend, today which said, "I hope u find what ur looking for in CA". Me too. I guess I had never thought of it that way. All I know is that I felt that I will never have the kind of life I want in NYC. I can't have roommates at the age of 35. I don't see any bf in sight to move in with me and share rent, and I've never wanted to live with someone before marriage. Don't ask me why, its not religious really, because I will fuck my boyfriends until they are begging me to stop, all while parked in front of an elementary school. But, I digress...NYC is a great place, but it can never be the place that will bring me to a comfortable existence. If I was happier at my current job, I probably would have stayed for another year or so.


On some level, I knew my stay on the east coast would never be permanent. I'm a west coastie on the inside. I guess what I'm looking for is to find myself in a place of contentment. I'm not sure if just being in Cali will do that. I think its the whole picture. I can live alone, I will be working for a great company with a great reputation and the very real possibility of moving up in my position. Things might suck there too, but I will be closer to home and close to very beautiful places such as Napa, SF, Santa Cruz and Monterey. Yeah I'm very nervous and super scared. In some way NYC has instilled that fear in me. But, I lived through it, and I know tons of people who will never live in NYC. But I did. And I got out alive. A bit scarred, but alive.

4 Comments:

Blogger Shawn said...

you are going to be fine. a little fear is good. and i think that ultimately, being back in cali will be good for you. once you get out of nyc, you will have time to regroup and focus on your new life. i would just spend my last days in the big city enjoying life and looking for mr. big.

11:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats on the new job!! Andrew and I are SO happy for you! You totally belong in CA...screw NYC!

4:34 PM  
Blogger cherie said...

Thanks Lauren! You were so right about New York. New Yorkers are into doing their own thing. I still can't believe you lived in Staten Island, that still makes me laugh!

5:51 PM  
Blogger fifi said...

Wow -- congratulations, Big D! Your dream of getting back to Cali is coming true & in such a huge way. I know that online auction place will be a bazillion times better than what you've been dealing with for the past year. Request a really good seat -- far from the bathroom, unless you really wanna meet more small-bladdered freaks like me.

I'll miss you & my boobs will miss yours!

& CG will never forget you!

10:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home