I shut my eyes and all the world drops dead; I lift my eyes and all is born again

--Sylvia Plath

Note: No new posts will be added to this blog. Please see new blog for new postings.

sexless in the city

All things tacky and delicious from my personal experiences in New York.

Sunday, May 13, 2007

Almost 30 and Single

Today it just dawned on me that I may still be single by the time I turn 30. Today that seemed like a scary thing. I'm not one to jump into anything, so I have to factor in "dating" time before a possible engagement and eventual marriage. And of course, there is no groom to speak of on the horizon. I tried to imagine not being married. It wouldn't be horrible I guess, but I know all of my friends will be happily married around me, and I'd be the lonely duck without a man. As we get older, the pool of men gets smaller and filled with baggage like child support and ex-wives. If that isn't the case, the bachelors left over are single for a reason. I sort of always pictured myself as having a prospect for marriage by the time I turn 30. Looks like things don't always turn out the way I want them to.

6 Comments:

Blogger fifi said...

Honey, you've already put yourself in the luggage-lover ring & look where that's gotten you.

Seriously, you've gotta be kidding. You're still very young. You won't really know yourself till at least 30, so why rush to meet someone who might not fit the real you before you get there? It's not like you're facing 50 soon. 30 isn't old, especially these days. So suck it up. Or I'll give you something to really cry about.

9:11 AM  
Blogger cherie said...

Sweetheart, its always people like you who are engaged and have been with their bf for like 5 years who say that. Lets be real here.

P.S. I'd like to see more blogging from you!

10:00 AM  
Blogger fifi said...

I am being real. I was near 30 when I met my man, but I wasn't freaking out that I'd live alone forever.

P.S. I'll be blogging a lot more -- just got a new laptop, so I can write wherever I am -- which, right now, is in front of the TV. HA!

10:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

this blog is a sex and the city episode. i believe it would be season 4, disc 2, episode 7. yes, i am that pathetic. im also in the same boat with you. and while i would like to say that you are wrong about the shallow dating pool, i can not. single people over 30 are still single for a reason. and that reason is that they are pathetic. just like we will be. one day soon. very soon.

11:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

and ps: i completely agree with you that the people who always say, "you just want it too badly" are the people who have been with someone their whole life. fuck those people. (not you fifi, just "those people" in general)

11:34 AM  
Blogger fifi said...

Uh, thanks, S, for not fucking me.

I'm not saying anyone wants it too badly, I'm saying calm the fuck down, 'cause your life is nowhere near over. Hell, you have the choice still to fuck anyone you want to. Those of us in relationships are jealous of that.

The grass is always greener....

2:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home