I shut my eyes and all the world drops dead; I lift my eyes and all is born again

--Sylvia Plath

Note: No new posts will be added to this blog. Please see new blog for new postings.

sexless in the city

All things tacky and delicious from my personal experiences in New York.

Saturday, May 12, 2007

A day in Williamsburg


Brooklyn is a big place, and today I dusted off the ole' Honda and took the 10 minute drive to the other side of the world--Williamsburg. Home of the hipsters. Two things brought me to Williamsburg, the Brooklyn Brewery and a southern cooking shack. I went with my co-worker and her husband to meet another co-worker who lives in the neighborhood. We walked 10 blocks to the Brooklyn Brewery to take advantage of the $3 beers. The beer tasted like ass. There's a lot Brooklyn is known for, beer will not be one of them. We got a bit tipsy and walked another 15 blocks to Pies and Thighs. I dropped $19 on fried chicken, baked beans, mac n'cheese, a lemonade and a doughnut. I still can't believe I paid that much. The chicken was good and so was the lemonade, but everything else was eh. I told myself I was paying for the experience. I have to admit, my opinion of Williamsburg has changed, its not the decrepit sugar refinery place I had imagined. Though it is filled with hipsters who dress like homeless people. Since when did it become fashionable to look like southern white trash?

2 Comments:

Blogger fifi said...

I am sorry I missed a $19 so-so lunch, really. Actually, the only thing I missed was hanging out with that crowd. I refuse to pay that kinda scratch for faux-soul food in NYC. Not when I can cook a southern feast for a crowd on $19.

As for the hipsters, I've spent way too much time pondering that one & still haven't figured it out. I'm just hoping that they soon price themselves out of my neighborhood. Or that their mummies & daddies decide to kick a nice trust fund my way as well.

9:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow...latinavixen1208, hangin w/ the hipsters. that alone would be worth my $19.

11:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home