I shut my eyes and all the world drops dead; I lift my eyes and all is born again

--Sylvia Plath

Note: No new posts will be added to this blog. Please see new blog for new postings.

sexless in the city

All things tacky and delicious from my personal experiences in New York.

Saturday, November 18, 2006

Sexy Time

I went to Spanish Harlem today and it smells delicious! As soon as I stepped off the 6 train I could smell boiled chicken and tortillas in the air. Latin salsa music was blaring in the background. I volunteered at the Yorkville Common Pantry to pre-pack canned goods for Thanksgiving. I envisioned a great opportunity to meet people from New York. Instead, I was sweating in the basement picking up boxes of canned vegetables and cake mix. It also dawned on me that New York is not a city for the very young or the very old. I saw a man in his 70's fall to the ground today, his groceries spilling out into the sidewalk. I'm not sure why he fell, but I felt so bad for him. In fact, this city is not for the injured either. A woman in crutches was trying to get down the stairs to the subway, and backed up the line into the street. I ended my exciting day with a trip to the movies (by myself) to see Borat. It was funny, my favorite part was when he asked the girl "How much" in New York. Seeing him at the Block with Pamela Anderson reminded me of the time I got my car keyed in that same parking lot. Ah, good ole' Cali. High Five!
P.S. I finished reading the stupidest book ever. It was given to me as a gift for my role as a bridesmaid. I didn't want to finish it, but I felt like I had to. The Mermaid Chair. Don't read it. I felt like it was a thinly-veiled, trying to be but not as good version of Kate Chopin's The Awakening.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home