I shut my eyes and all the world drops dead; I lift my eyes and all is born again

--Sylvia Plath

Note: No new posts will be added to this blog. Please see new blog for new postings.

sexless in the city

All things tacky and delicious from my personal experiences in New York.

Sunday, June 03, 2007

Career Talk

This weekend I hung out on Friday with my neighbor/co-worker/BFF at her house. We drank about 2.5 bottles of wine between the both of us. She got me thinking a lot about my current position at the agency I work at. I'll be working at my agency for 9 months in June. I am a user interface designer, but I have only worked on 3 or 4 projects in which I have aided in designing interfaces. The rest of the time I wrote documents and sat on my ass reading blogs and IMing all day. Part of the reason for this is because the projects that I have been working have gone on hold. When that happens, I literally have nothing to do. After speaking to my manager, he told me that I came at a weird time for projects. Long story short, my friend doesn't think I'm getting what I need at this agency, and quite frankly neither do I. I had expected to learn a lot more by this time than I have. So, I think its time to build my portfolio, and I'm going to start shopping around to other agencies and places that I think I can build more skill. It may turn out this place I stay, but I'm going to check out my options.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

coincidence that you're re-evaluating your career and opening up to "other agncies" after deciding to give it another go with Chris?

6:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

agncies = agencies

it's early AND Monday! forgive me lol

6:08 AM  
Blogger cherie said...

No, not coincidence at all. I think when you've been sitting on your bum for the better half of 9 months not doing anything, and still unsure if this career is the right path, it seems like a good idea. If you refer to some of my pre-Chris posts, I have continually wrestled with whether or not this is the right career for me. I'm starting to wonder if its just the agency I work at. Additionally, when I say "give it a go" with Chris, I actually meant that I was going to still remain friends with him, but I've taken a few steps back in light of our conversation. I care about him, but if he is no longer in my life, that's okay too. I just have a new perspective on this situation. I also want to point out that Chris lives in Socal, and I was planning on applying in Norcal which is about 8 hours away by car. Not exactly close.

7:21 AM  
Blogger fifi said...

Now there's something I can definitely get on board with. Yes, you should definitely have learned more about interaction design in the last 9 months than you've learned there. And you know I think it's a very unhealthy environment, between the rampant alcoholoism & everyone cliquing up like middle-schoolers. Of course, if it weren't for that hellhole, you & I never would've met, so it has its benefits. Now that you've gotten good friends & no work out of it, leave it in the dust.

You can do better.

4:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home